A Sunday morning favourite. Best eaten fresh from the oven with dollops of Soet Tand Cape Gooseberry Jam and thickened cream.
275g Cake Flour (2 c)
15ml Royal Baking Powder (1 T)
Pinch of Salt
125g Butter or Margarine
125mk Milk (½ c)
1 extra-large Egg
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees
- Sift together the Cake Flour, the Baking Powder and the Salt
- Rub the Butter or Margarine into the Flour mixture
- Beat the Milk and Egg
- Cut it into the flour mixture till blended
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of 2cm on a floured pastry board
- Cut out circles 5cm in diameter with a biscuit cutter
- Place the circles slightly apart on a greased baking sheet
- Bake the scones for about 12 minutes until golden brown on top
- Place on a wire rack to cool.
The secret of successful scones is never to stir the liquid into the dry ingredients with a spoon, but rather cut it in with a spatula. For good colour, brush the raw scones with egg yolk beaten together with 15ml (1 T) milk.