Serves: 4 – 6
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp fresh curry leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 carrots, peeled & sliced
- 800g cubed lamb
- 1 can (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 11⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 potatoes, peeled & quartered
- 200g green beans, sliced
- Salt & milled black pepper
- 1 white bread loaf, unsliced
- Italian parsley to garnish
- Heat a potjie over medium coals. Add the oil and fry the onions, garlic and spices for about 5 minutes until onions are golden and the spices have infused into the oil.
- Add the carrots, lamb, tomato and stock. Cover tightly with foil and a lid and leave to cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- After an hour, add the potatoes and green beans and cook for another 30–40 minutes or until cooked. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Slice the loaf into chunks and scoop out some of the bread, leaving the crust intact.
- To serve: Serve the curry in the hollowed out bread and top with sprigs of parsley.