Hearty Lamb & Vegetable Potjie
120g Montagu Yellow Cling Peach Halves
¾ cup (180ml) dry red wine
1 tsp (5ml) Robertsons Crushed Chillies
1½ tbsp (23ml) Flippen Lekka! Multi Purpose Spice
½ cup (125ml) flour
6 lamb shanks
¼ cup (60ml) oil
2 onions, thickly sliced
2 carrots, cut into chunks
3 cloves garlic, chopped
¼ cup (60ml) tomato paste
2 cans (410g) All Gold Mediterranean-style Tomatoes
3 cups (750ml) Ina Paarman’s Beef Flavour Stock Powder (prepared)
3 bay leaves
6 potatoes, peeled and halved
200g green beans, trimmed
Roosterkoek, crusty bread or rice
- Place the peach halves into a bowl and pour over the red wine. Allow to marinate for 3 to 4 hours.
- Mix the crushed chillies, multi purpose spice and flour together in a shallow bowl. Dust the lamb lightly in the seasoned flour until well coated, and set aside.
- Heat two tablespoons of the oil in a large potjie pot over medium-hot coals. Add the lamb shanks, in batches, and cook until shanks are browned on all sides. Remove from the potjie and set aside. Add the remaining oil to the potjie and toss in the onion, carrot and garlic. Sauté until softened and golden.
- Return the lamb to the potjie and add the tomato paste. Stir until the lamb and vegetables are all well coated.
- Tip in the tomatoes, beef stock, soaked peaches and wine, and add the bay leaves.
- Cover the potjie and allow to cook for 1½ hours over medium-low coals.
- Add the potato halves and more liquid/stock if necessary. Cook for a further hour, adding the green beans 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Serve with roosterkoek, bread or rice to soak up the delicious sauce.
Recipe by Justine Kiggen for Cape to Cairo