Creamy Fragrant Seafood Potjie
2 tbsp (30ml) olive oil
1 tbsp (15ml) butter
1 leek, sliced
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1½ tbsp (23ml) Rajah Curry Medium Powder
3 squid tubes, cut into rings
650g firm white fish, cut into large chunks
1½ tsp (8ml) Ina Paarman’s Fish Spice
1kg pot-ready blue mussels
300g jumbo prawn tails
200g punnet grape tomatoes
1 cup (250ml) Ina Paarman’s Vegetable Stock Powder (prepared)
1 can (410ml) light coconut cream
2 bay leaves
½ tbsp (8ml) Nando’s Peri-Peri Sauce
Salt and milled pepper
Fresh herbs to garnish
Garlic toast & lemon wedges
- Place the potjie pot over medium-hot coals and once heated, add the olive oil and butter.
- Toss in the sliced leeks, celery and garlic and cook, stirring until softened.
- Add the curry powder, stir to combine, and cook for a further minute.
- Season the squid rings and fish chunks with fish spice.
- Add squid, fish and mussels to the onion mixture and pour over the stock and coconut cream.
- Add the bay leaves and cover with a lid. Allow to simmer gently for 10 to 12 minutes, and then add the prawns.
- Continue to cook for a further 5 minutes, covered, until all the mussels have opened (discard any mussels that have not opened) and the fish is cooked through.
- Add the peri-peri sauce. Stir well to combine and season to taste.
- Garnish with herbs, then serve accompanied by garlic toast and lemon wedges.
Recipe by Justine Kiggen for Cape to Cairo