A Sunday morning favourite. Best eaten fresh from the oven with dollops of Soet Tand Cape Gooseberry Jam and thickened cream.
- 275g Cake Flour (2 c)
- 15ml Royal Baking Powder (1 T)
- Pinch of Salt
- 125g Butter or Margarine
- 125mk Milk (½ c)
- 1 extra-large Egg
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees
- Sift together the Cake Flour, the Baking Powder and the Salt
- Rub the Butter or Margarine into the Flour mixture
- Beat the Milk and Egg
- Cut it into the flour mixture till blended
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of 2cm on a floured pastry board
- Cut out circles 5cm in diameter with a biscuit cutter
- Place the circles slightly apart on a greased baking sheet
- Bake the scones for about 12 minutes until golden brown on top
- Place on a wire rack to cool.
The secret of successful scones is never to stir the liquid into the dry ingredients with a spoon, but rather cut it in with a spatula. For good colour, brush the raw scones with egg yolk beaten together with 15ml (1 T) milk.