When lighting the fire late afternoon, rustle up this delicious loaf. By the time the coals are ready to braai, the bread is ready to be taken from the oven.
Makes a medium loaf
- 500g self-raising Flour
- 5ml Salt (1 t)
- 2ml Turmeric (½ t)
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- 100g coarsely grated Cheddar Cheese (1 c)
- 1 packet Knorr White Onion soup powder
- 15ml dried Parsley (1 T)
- 5ml Garlic flakes (1 t)
- 500ml buttermilk (2 c)
- 125ml Sunflower Oil (½ c)
- 2 Eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Grease a loaf tin with a volume of 1,5 litres (6 c)
- Line the tin with baking paper
- Sift together the self-raising Flour, Salt, Turmeric and Cayenne Pepper.
- Add the Cheese, White Onion soup powder, Parsley and Garlic flakes and mix
- Beat together the Buttermilk, Sunflower oil and Eggs then mix into the Flour mixture
- Place the dough in the tin and spread evenly
- Bake loaf for approximately an hour until done and nicely browned on top
- Turn out, remove baking paper and leave to cool for a while
- Eat lukewarm and lightly buttered.